Programme & Funding Advisor
West Africa Region
Role title: Programme and Funding Advisor – West Africa Region
Organisation:ActionAid in partnership with Alianza Por la Solidaridad
Availability: September 10th 2021
Location: Dakar (Senegal) with frequent regional travels
Reports to: ActionAid Italy and Alianza por la Solidaridad focal points for the WAM Delegation
Salary: Competitive salary-1year contract (renewable)
ActionAid (www.actionaid.org) is an international organisation, working with over 25 million people in more than 40 countries for a world free from poverty and injustice. Alianza Por la Solidaridad has recently become a member of the ActionAid International Federation, so representing the network in Spain. Under the leadership of Italy and Spain offices, and in collaboration with Senegal, The Gambia and Nigeria, the Federation has vocally decided to set up a West Africa and Mediterranean (WAM) Delegation, with the objective to react to the challenges posed by migration and development in the two regions.
Purpose of this position:
ActionAid is currently seeking for a Programme and Funding Advisor for the West Africa region to support the development and implementation of WAM funding strategy, secure new funding opportunities, strengthen our co-ordinated programmatic presence in the area and, ultimately, recommending an operational structure for consolidating the work in the region.
The Programme and Funding Advisor will support the Federation in identifying funding opportunities and developing successful project proposals in the field of migration and development, monitoring and evaluating current projects in coordination with the national teams, screening the international donors, identifying and recommending the grant opportunities and defining the funding strategy for the region (Senegal, The Gambia, Nigeria, Mali, Mauritania, extended to Morocco and Tunisia). The PFA will pay specific attention to the start-up of the Federation presence in Mali, based on an Italian-funded project on migration and development in the country.
The Programme & Funding Advisor for Sahel Region will:
- Contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the WAM Delegation;
- Represent the WAM Delegation at Regional level by building relationships with donors, networks and alliances, NGOs and any other appropriate national forums or strategic partnerships;
- Collaborate with and facilitate ActionAid members in Spain, Italy, Senegal, Nigeria and The Gambia, as well as Mali and Mauritania to identify key donors and opportunities aligned with the AA Migration and development approach and programming and WAM Delegation Theory of Change;
- Work with relevant ActionAid members, donor owners and the Global Secretariat to develop and submit proposals in line with the WAM Delegation Theory of Change;
- Follow up the start-up and correct implementation of the WAM Delegation approved projects, in collaboration with the country teams assigned to the actions;
- Carry out the evaluation of the projects approved in the migration and development sector, ensuring a sound exercise of capitalization of the lessons learnt;
- Other duties as assigned.
More in detail, the post holder is expected to fulfil the following objectives and activities:
- Contribute to develop a structured 2022 Funding Strategy and Action Plan for the region taking into account the programmatic work of all the ActionAid country presences in the area, the donors’ priorities and all the concerned stakeholders, in co-ordination with all the relevant AA country teams;
- Identify, prepare and write project proposals for international donors related to migration and development in the West Africa Region (with a special focus on Senegal, The Gambia, Mauritania, Nigeria, Mali plus Tunisia and Morocco) and focusing on WAM Delegation Theory of Change;
- Oversee the proper implementation of the project proposal funded by the Italian Ministry of Interior in Mali, and implemented by ActionAid in partnership with Plan, by steering and supporting the team based in Bamako (AA and local partner staff) and by accompanying the kick-off of the organization presence in the country;
- Actively identify, qualify and track funding opportunities in the area in a systematic manner based on ActionAid programmatic priorities;
- Develop and update the donor mapping tool and WAM Delegation pipeline as well as establishing a calendar of proposal submissions based on the donors in the area and of course prioritizes imminent calls for proposals, ensures that opportunities are correctly and timely sized, helps finalizing sound project proposals, liaises with the donor locally;
- Conduct through monthly report to the WAM Delegation Steering Committee the context and situational analysis on development and humanitarian issues affecting the target populations and ensure regular updates on the situation in the area;
- Organize and coordinate the meetings of the WAM Delegation Technical Committee, responsible for the implementation of the decisions taken by the Steering Committee, as well as of the other operational tasks of the WAM Delegation workplan;
- Assess the need and feasibility of the set-up of a programmatic presence in new countries that are particularly strategic in the Sahel Region. Area;
- Participate in Regional Cluster System (IASC; Working Groups… Etc.);
- Identify options for a co-ordinated AA presence in the area, from a lighter co-ordination among countries until a more complex operational structure in view of pursuing the Funding Strategy goals and effectively address the migration issues in the area;
- Conduct a final Evaluation on 2021 progress and future presence in the area.
The person will report to: AA Italy and Alianza por la Solidaridad focal point for the WAM Delegation, and will be accountable to the Delegation Steering Committee.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A post graduate degree in Development, Humanitarian Action, Gender Studies, Human Rights or other related field. Studies in Migration will be an asset;
- At least 7 years of experience in Development and Humanitarian contexts in international NGOs;
- Demonstrated experience in project identification and design and donor engagement, especially UN donors, EC (including ECHO), OECD/DAC Countries’ agencies and others;
- Proven knowledge of the context of West Africa and Mediterranean regions;
- Deep understanding of the Migrants dynamics in the West Africa and Mediterranean regions and experience of migration-related issues, especially sustainable livelihoods and climate change, youth employment and poverty reduction, human rights (especially women’s rights) and advocacy on good migration and development policies;
- Availability to travel along Senegal, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, The Gambia, Spain and Italy is required;
- Process facilitation skills, negotiation, influencing skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams;
- Ability to work independently;
- Previous experience in crisis-security risks contexts will be positively evaluated.
- Fluency in both English and French, oral and written, is required for the post.
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Spanish is an asset.
How to apply:
To apply for the post, please send your CV and a letter of application in English by email at email@example.com
Please ensure that they are sent with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put "ActionAid-PM Sahel: your name” in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: 25 July 2021.